Thursday, June 18, 2009

Close Your Mouths, Open Your Eyes

Guy talk more than likely has the largest effect on how men react in their everyday lives. Everyone is out trying to impress their friends, brag about sexual endeavors, and ultimately prove that they are the most masculine in the group. I am here to tell you now that it is attitudes like this that have lead to such high relationship conflicts and divorce rates in the United States.
There is nothing good that comes out of demeaning and sexually exploiting girls that you have been with, especially if the girl happens to be your girlfriend. Often times I have heard friends of mine go into grotesque detail about how they behave sexually with girls and often times these were girls that they were dating.
Being in a relationship is about having mutual respect for you as well as your partner. If this girl really means something to you, than just being with her and seeing her happy should be more than enough reason for you to be happy. Those who decide to talk about every little detail of their personal lives with every guy around them are those who are so uncomfortable with how people look at them that they are talking up a storm to try and overcompensate.
Now this not to say that talk about personal lives cannot be good. If someone is dealing with a trying issue with a girl than it is completely normal to ask a friend for help or advice. The question is, are these people really looking for help, or just another excuse to brag?
The whole reason to brag has always been beyond my comprehension as well. What are you trying to prove? We are all adults here unless told otherwise, we assume that everyone else has had some kind of a encounter with the opposite sex. So really, are you bragging to prove to others your adequate, or yourself?
I currently have a girlfriend and am involved in a type of long distance relationship. Being that I am in school a majority of the year, it gets hard a lot of time. I will however tell you that at no time did I ever brag to other people about her. As a matter of fact for a long time people did not even know we were together. The reason for this is because just being able to see her and be with her and actually hold her is more than enough to make me happy. I do not need to prove anything to anyone, and even if people were to assume that every time we are together we sit on opposite sides of the room and watch television, so be it. I care about her and respect a great deal, and I would never do something as disrespectful as talking about what goes on with us behind close doors. Why would I risk ruining the relationship with a person that has made me so happy for so long?
My point here is, we get too caught up with our own sexual innuendos that we forget to truly appreciate how blessed we are. Caring is more than just a feeling, it is an ability, and often times I find that people take complete advantage of that. Being that this is my summer vacation, and speaking from experience, I need to stress the idea that we should be appreciating every second we spend with these people we care about most. Close your mouths and open your eyes to how lucky you are. Put aside macho instincts, ignore the guys, lay down with your girl, and just thank God for every second you have with her.

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't have said it better myself - thanks. My husband is like that, so I am blessed to have such a wonderful man :)

    ReplyDelete