Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathers Day Thoughts

So as well all know it is father's day and everyone is out celebrating with his or her father. Some people have good relationships with their father, others not so much. I took this time today to write about how I think a father and a dad are two completely different people.
Any guy can be a father. All you have to do is find a girl, conceive a child, and have that child be born. That is what a father is to me. There is a biological reason and purpose that the man has served, making him the father.
A dad however, is completely different from a father. A dad is the guy that helps raise the kid, takes him to baseball games, plays a game of catch in the back yard, helps with homework, and ultimately becomes a substantial part of the child's life. A dad does everything he can to help raise and support the child and no matter what happens, makes every effort to be involved with his child.
In my opinion, a dad also does not have to be biological. When I played basketball for an AAU organization I had a very good relationship with my coach. He taught me lessons about life, girls, drugs, alcohol, and of course basketball. He taught me lessons that went beyond the basketball court, and helped me become the person I am today. I consider him as dad type figure because of this, and although we only talk a few times a year now, he made a great impact on my life.
So for those of you that have lost your fathers, or never really had a good relationship to begin with, you can all still celebrate. For those of you that have lost your fathers, I hope you take this day to appreciate the time you had together. For those of you who never had a really good relationship with your father, that does not mean you don't have a dad in your life. Maybe he is a middle school teacher who taught you valuable lessons, maybe he is a sports coach that still keeps in touch, or maybe he is just a man down the street that every once and a while offered to take you to the movies with him and and his son. We all have one guy in our lives that has shaped the way we live in a positive light, and we must take this day to remember this man. Even if he is not your father, he can still be your dad. For those of you who are fathers, appreciate every second you have with your children, because it will go by fast, and trust me, you won't want to miss it.

4 comments:

  1. pretty good blog... ;)its nice to start blogs i actually have a personal and a food blog i just started...

    http://mylifewithf00d.blogspot.com

    check it out too...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you wrote - its true. Any guy can be a father but it takes a lot more to be a Dad. Thanks for posting this. Its not Father's day in Oz, but its still great to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good thought. lets you know that fathers day doesnt have to suck when you have a bad father. but you can celebrate the good dad figures in your life

    ReplyDelete